Sunday, December 30, 2012

Something Different Now


This morning I looked over the plans and tried to decide what to tackle next. The fun thing about this project is that there is such a variety of different types of work to be done, so I just needed to figure out what I was in the mood for. Sometimes repetitive work is strangely soothing, so I decided on starting the assembly of the pipes.

I won't bother to go into too much detail, since Melvyn Wright's book lays it all out in such a straightforward manner.

I started the morning off by trimming and chamfering the front pieces, then sanding everything down in preparation for gluing.


I opted to go for Titebond wood glue rather than plain ol' Elmer's or PVA glue. Typically, I consider "wood glue" to be nothing more than overpriced Elmer's glue with a little pigment added, but this particular brand seems to have a higher initial tack, and I thought it would help in keeping things in place without sliding around too much.


Front and back in place, now setting the foot...




Four down, sixteen to go...




I started with the smallest and worked my way up to the largest. I figured that the smallest would be the most difficult and that I would also be overly careful at the outset. However, for me at least, it seems like all of the pipes were fairly equal in their level of difficulty, which was quite minimal, actually. The smallest were a little awkward to work with, but the larger pipes seemed to be more difficult when it came to rubber-banding. These were the only ones that seemed to be close to collapsing as I handled them, but even without the optional "packing piece" (which I opted not to use), I didn't really have any trouble, and none of the pipes collapsed while I carefully handled them.




Seventeen down, three to go...



All done with this stage, and ready for more work tomorrow.



Looks like I'll be sealing, doing the languids and doing some more gluing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment