Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tracker Bar Plan "B"

 As my first attempt at this ended in failure (I widened out the holes too much), I decided to have another go at it today.

I used the same setup as before, using my digital caliper jig to get the holes drilled accurately.



I originally planned to do the base of the tracker bar using John Smith's honeycomb method, but advice from Melvyn Wright ( http://www.melright.com/busker/ ) pointed me at using an all-wood method, described in a post by Walt Lysack on Melvyn's website. After studying Lysack's post I decided that I'd do a slight variation on his method.
 I cut a length of hardwood about 7/8" x 1" to use as the top and center, and a piece 1/4" x 1 3/4" to use for the tubing connection base.

I drilled the center holes about 1/2" deep into the block, then sliced off the tracker bar top.



I then took the middle section (with its half-deep centerline holes) and glued it to the undrilled base piece.



I then drilled all of the offset holes through the middle piece/base assembly, again using my caliper jig.



This is what I wound up with:



And here's how the pieces looked once I finished with the Dremel tool spiral blade and some sandpaper:


1 comment:

  1. Great ideas for making a tracker bar. I plan to use your process! Thanks. jdavisfdc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete