Friday, January 11, 2013

Bellows prep and dyeing plastic parts

Today I made use of my wood cutting list and cut and ripped a bunch of hardwood down to 1/4" and 1/2" thickness for various pieces. My plan is to get started on the bellows, so I wanted to make sure I got the battens for them glued in, so they can dry and be ready for sealing tomorrow. Since last weekend, the kitchen table has been a resting ground for the bellows cloth as I have it clamped/weighted to make the creases set.





Here are the middle bellows boards held with a small army of clamps while the glue dries overnight



While the glue dries, I thought I'd take care of a very minor bit of work, and transform my ugly white plastic gear and shaft bushing pieces into black pieces. I realize they won't be seen for the most part, but I really think the white plastic will stand out like a sore thumb in my overall design. The gears are for fitting the crank handle on the side instead of out the back - I read a posting about this crank handle modification, and I thought I'd try it. Of course I couldn't very well paint the white plastic pieces, as the movement friction would peel the paint away before long, so I found some interesting videos on YouTube where folks had successfully used Rit fabric dye to alter the color of plastic model parts without resorting to a paint coating.

Before...



 During.....



After...




The gears still need a little more work to make them look more like metal/ less like plastic, but I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment