Sunday, January 6, 2013

Marking the Bellows Cloth


I've been working on the bellows cloth today and taking care of some odd little things as well.


The bellows cloth I'm using is Roc-Lon blackout fabric - I got a yard of it for about $3.50. It's white on one side and ecru on the other, so I opted to put the stiffeners on the white side, in order to keep the more pleasant color on the visible side (I realize that it won't likely be seen by anyone but me). Also, I didn't want to risk gluing the cards to the colored, rubberized side.




Since the fabric had been stored folded, I thought it would be good to iron out the creases and wrinkles a little. I set the iron on medium to low heat, not wanting to melt or compromise the rubberized backing on the colored side.




I then set to work with the steel ruler, marking off guidelines for the stiffeners and for cutting the cloth to size:




Then I put the stiffeners in place just to make sure all of the measurements were correct:




I'm doing a glue test (spray glue vs. wood glue/PVA) to see which holds up better, so I'll check and test the samples tomorrow.

In the meantime, I thought I'd try out some hammered finish paint on my wooden spoked wheels:






No comments:

Post a Comment